This recipe uses a few simple ingredients like brown rice, black beans and peppers to make a delicious and easy meal. My kids thought the kitchen smelled like tacos and they all loved it.
For the Tex-Mex Spice Blend
1 tablespoon chili powder
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika or 1/2 teaspoon regular paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
For the Casserole
1.5 teaspoons olive oil
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
fine grain sea salt and black pepper
1/2 cup corn
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
1 cup tomato sauce
2-3 cups chopped kale or baby spinach
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups cooked wild rice blend or brown rice
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1-2 handfuls corn tortilla chips, crushed
sliced green onions
sour cream or cashew cream
- Cook the rice. Make the Tex-Mex spice blend by combining the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and coriander. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Oil a large casserole dish.
- In a large wok or pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers and jalapeño and salute for 7-8 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the spice blend, corn, diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, kale or spinach, beans, rice and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Salute for a few minutes and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with crushed corn tortilla chips and remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
Recipe from Oh She Glows