Butternut squash, with its deep orange coloured flesh and sweet flavour makes a delicious soup. Butternut squash is one of the most concentrated vegetable sources of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 essential fatty acid that is very good for heart health. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin A and C, making this soup an antioxidant powerhouse!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 (1 Litre) carton organic chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, melt the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You could also use an immersion blender, but I find that the blender really works well to make it silky smooth.
4. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy hot!
My all time favourite blender is the Vitamix. I use it daily. It’s great for making smoothies, blender pancakes and soups. Yes, it’s an investment up front, but it’s a health investment!