I’ve made many different stuffings over the years and I keep coming back to this one. The turkey sausage and apple make a wonderful flavour combination.
- 5 cups of toasted bread cubes
- 1 pound of turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup organic turkey or chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, melted
- To prepare your own bread cubes, preheat oven to 350F. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat. When the outsides are brown, transfer to a cutting board and chop coarsely. Return sausage to skillet and add onions. Continue cooking until sausage is evenly browned.
- Add the celery, sage, rosemary and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes to blend the flavours.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the bread cubes in the large bowl. Mix in chopped apple, dried cranberries and parsley. Drizzle with the broth and melted butter. Mix lightly and allow the stuffing to cool completely before loosely stuffing the turkey.
This recipe will easily stuff a ten pound turkey. Since I’m usually cooking a 25 pound turkey, I always double the recipe! It turns out great every time.