The butternut squash makes a delicious addition to these tasty and nutrient dense burritos. Combining brown rice and black beans provides a complete protein for a healthy, vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium size butternut squash, peeled, cubed and roasted
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 1/2 cups black beans, soaked or 1 15 ounce can of organic black beans
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 large tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine cubed squash with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place in an oven proof dish or baking sheet and roast for about 30-45 minutes (or until tender and browned) Toss squash halfway through cooking time. Set aside when done.
3. Cook brown rice according to directions.
4. In a large skillet, saute’ onion and garlic in a little olive oil over medium heat. After about 5 minutes add the pepper and spices. Cook for a few more minutes. Add tomato, rice, spinach and butternut squash to the pan. Heat everything through.
5. Scoop a healthy portion of squash mixture into a warmed up tortilla. Enjoy!