Everyone loves a bowl of hot soup on a cold winter night. This recipe goes together quickly with little fuss. The fresh ginger adds a note of exotic, sweet spiciness to the carrots and leeks, making it a delicious combination.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, including tender green parts, thinly sliced
- 6 carrots (about 1 lb.), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red potato, peeled and coarsely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 5 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the leeks and sauté until just slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, potato, and ginger and sauté until the vegetables are just softened, about 5 minutes longer.
2. Add the stock, cover partially, and simmer until the vegetables are completely softened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches, leaving some texture if desired, and return the soup to the pan. Alternatively, process with a handheld blender in the pan until the desired consistency is reached. Return the soup to medium heat and stir in the orange juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Laddle the soup into warmed bowls and enjoy. Serves 4-6