Cold winter days are great for wrapping your hands around a warm mug filled with steaming hot chocolate. Thankfully this seasonal treat can be enjoyed guilt-free when you make your own the healthy way.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Add milk, water and cacao powder to a saucepan and whisk well. Warm the hot chocolate over medium heat, stirring frequently.
2. Bring to a gentle boil. Once you see the milk steaming and small bubbles beginning to form around the edges, remove from heat.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and whisk well.
4. Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy.
Cacao is an excellent source of magnesium and helps to calm the body. The theobromine found in raw cacao has a mild stimulating effect that some say can ease symptoms of depression. Cacao is also a very high source of fiber and a good source of zinc, an important mineral for your immune system. Zinc also has anti-inflammatory properties, making this hot chocolate an excellent post snow shovelling drink.
Maca powder comes from a Peruvian root. It’s a nutrient dense whole food that aids in energy production and helps to support adrenal function, helping your body deal with stress.
Cinnamon helps balance blood sugar levels which can prevent an energy slump in the afternoon. Sprinkle some cinnamon on your morning oatmeal or add it to a smoothie. It’s a great spice to incorporate into your diet.