The pumpkins are carved and the pumpkin seeds are roasted. Our kitchen has a wonderful aroma of fall flavours. These pumpkin seeds are a bit different from the traditional olive oil and sea salt combination, but Mmmmm they are delicious!
- 2 cups of dry shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1. After carving your pumpkin, rinse the seeds well and remove all the stringy pulp that may still be clinging to them.
2. Spread seeds out on cookie sheets lined with clean tea towels to help absorb all the moisture. Pat the seeds dry or let air dry overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Place 2 cups of dry pumpkin seeds in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Stir well.
5. Prepare pumpkin pie spice and sprinkle over the seeds. Stir until the seeds are evenly coated.
6. Spread seeds out in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir and bake for another 10 minutes. If your pumpkin seeds were very dry to begin with, 20 minutes should be long enough. Allow more time as needed for seeds that weren’t completely dry. Keep checking on them to ensure they don’t burn.
8. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
* to make your own pumpkin pie spice, use 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp nutmeg)