Looking for a way to spice up your morning oatmeal? This recipe is great for those cool fall mornings, and it’s a great way to incorporate more pumpkin into your diet. Pumpkin is incredibly rich in vital antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. It’s also a good source of B-complex vitamins like folate, niacin, B6, thiamin and pantothenic acid. Pumpkins are a great source of fibre and a rich source of minerals such as copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- 3/4 cup of your favourite oatmeal (steel cut, gluten free….)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 banana
1. Put oatmeal and milk in a medium sized pot. Cook over medium heat until a light boil.
2. Stir in the pumpkin and mashed banana. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat and add the spices and maple syrup.
4. Sprinkle on some crushed pecans or walnuts and enjoy!