Hectic lifestyles are a reality for many people. Fit healthy eating into your busy schedule by planning and preparing meals on weekends or periods of downtime. If you can spare an extra 15 to 20 minutes in the morning before heading out the door, then you can enjoy this hot meal of “Fast Food” Turkey Chili when you return home. It tastes so good, no one will ever suspect it only took 15 minutes to prepare!
Turkey is a very good source of protein, selenium, niacin and vitamin B6 and a good source of zinc and vitamin B12. Turkey is particularly high in the amino acid tryptophan, a building block of the neurotransmitter serotonin. Since serotonin is an inducer of sleep, consumption of turkey may help improve your sleep quality. Perhaps turkey’s high level of tryptophan is why many people feel like taking a nap after their Thanksgiving meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey (or 4 cups chopped cooked turkey)
- 1 carton (946 mL) organic tomato soup
- 1 can (28 oz) organic diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (19 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of frozen organic corn
- 2 large portobella mushrooms, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Brown ground turkey, stirring frequently.
3. If you are using leftover cooked turkey, omit this step and put your chopped cooked turkey into the slow cooker.
4. Mix all ingredients into the slow cooker.
5. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.