Stop Before You Pop


I love popcorn, but you won’t catch me eating microwave popcorn. Microwave popcorn is deliciously dangerous for two main reasons.

  1.  Diacetyl
    That wonderful aroma that hits you when you open a bag of freshly popped microwave popcorn is a chemical called diacetyl. Diacetyl is a synthetic butter flavouring that has doctors concerned. Hundreds of workers at popcorn manufacturing plants have developed a condition called “popcorn lung,” also known by the medical name bronchiolitis obliterans. The condition is caused by inhalation of diacetyl fumes, which cause scarring in the lungs. Sufferers of popcorn lung have difficulty exhaling, and when severe, the condition can be fatal. You may not be a factory worker, but chemicals build up in your lungs and tissues over time. Repeated exposure to harmful chemicals can pose a serious health hazard.

2. Perfluorooctanoic
The second problem with microwave popcorn is perfluorooctanoic or PFOA. The manufacturers of microwave popcorn coat the bags with a chemical that, according to the FDA, breaks down during the cooking process and forms a chemical called perfluorooctanoic or PFOA. The Environmental Protection Agency classifies PFOA as a likely carcinogen and it has been linked to thyroid issues, high cholesterol and bladder cancer.

Solution:  Buy certified organic non-GMO popcorn kernels and make it on the stove top or use a hot air popper. Drizzle on some melted coconut oil and sprinkle with sea salt. You could even add some nutritional yeast for a faux-parmesan taste. Enjoy your healthy snack of popcorn, free from harmful chemicals and health hazards.

Follow Us:


Contact Us: